Sunday 14 April 2013

Large Wooden Die

This was created on a very wet weekend. I had just purchased a Woodburning tool and wanted to try it out. I saw this idea on Pinterest and thought it would be a nice little project to complete on a miserable day.

I used a piece of gluts which I have used in several other projects. The wood is about 75 mm square. Using the drop saw I made a rough square and then sanded the soft wood to have each face looking nice and then rounded off the edges so make it easy to hold. For those who are unaware the opposite sides of a die add up to seven. Having this in mind I used the Woodburning tool to burn the numbers in each face. After this was done all that was needed was a quick coat of stain using a rag to apply a layer on each face. In this case I have used the colour Walnut. It is important to think about the finish that is used in projects like this. If I had a small child I would use a mineral oil or another oil that is not toxic if the child was to put the toy inside it's mouth.

This is a simple project that could be completed in an afternoon using limited tools. A Woodburning tool is not essential for this project a permanent marker would work just as well.

Essential tools: saw, sander ( electric or hand powered)

Fun tools: Woodburning tool



No comments:

Post a Comment